Friday, January 24, 2014

Crockpot Spicy Chicken and Turkey Soup

As a working wife and mommy, I am always on the look-out for new recipes.  Since we have all been sick, I decided we needed something that was full of protein and that had some vegetables in it.  I came across a spicy chicken and turkey soup and decided that it sounded wonderful.  I altered the recipe a zbit, but here is the breakdown:



  •  1 pound of chicken tenderloins (uncooked, not frozen)
  • 1/2 pound of sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces (can be pre-cooked or uncooked) *if you like spicy, get the spicy kind and you can always use turkey sausage which is what I did!
  • 1 green or red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon of chili powder
  • 1 (14oz) can of Rotel
  • 1 can of tomatoes *we have canned tomatoes from the garden, but you can use from your grocery store 
  • 2 cups of chicken broth
  • 1 box of frozen spinach, defrosted (make sure to squeeze all the excess liquid)
  • 1/2 pound of uncooked pasta (pasta shells are tasty)
  • salt and pepper
  • chopped green onions, optional
In your crockpot, add your chicken, turkey sasusage, bell pepper, chili powder, Rotel and chicken broth.  Add a pinch of salt and pepper.  Stir and cover.  This can cook either on low for 6-7 hrs or on high for 4-5 hrs.  

30 minutes before you are ready to serve, add spinach and uncooked pasta.  Replace lid and cook for additonal 30 minutes on high heat.

Garnish with green onions and Enjoy!!

No comments: