Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Habit

This past Sunday in church, we talked about how to learn to live wisely.  Our pastor spoke on the importance of your daily quiet time with God.  He used the acronym L-E-A-R-N to further explain wisdom.

  •  Listen to God everyday
  •  Enlist friends who challenge me
  • Ask questions and accept correction
  • Remember and Reinforce what I can learn (Listen, Study, Remember, Quote)
  • Now do it!!
According to Rick Warren, it takes 40 days to have a spiritually significant time period.  To have a habit.  I looked up habit online and this was the definition:   "an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary: the habit of looking both ways before crossing the street."  Of course some of the things that started popping into my head were things like - if I run or walk for 40 days, it will become a habit.  if I drink water for 40 days, it will become a habit.  


I wasn't putting into perspective that if I read my bible and my devotion for 40 days, it will become habit.  I wasn't thinking if I prayed to God all throughout the day for 40 days, it will become habit.  

It can be so easy to do things and form habits.   Why not try to do things for Him and to glorify Him, instead of focusing on myself and what will make me better?   

I am going to try to think of habits as a good thing, instead of how they are normally perceived.  Something involuntary.  Something that can make me a better person. 

 What are you going to do the next 40 days?  You could start by reading Proverbs every day for the next 31 days.  We can do it together.  Who's with me?


Wisdom is more precious than rubies.  Nothing else you could ever want is as valuable. - Proverbs 8:11

Getting wisdom is the most important thing you can do.  - Proverbs 4:7  

No comments: