Sunday, February 15, 2009

Nursing All Day?

Ok ladies,
I realize that this is a blog about my pregnancy and our first born and it seems as though it is turning into a breastfeeding blog, but boy do I have questions. So, I need some help. I feel like all I do all day long is nurse. She eats or at least I think that she does for 45 minutes on one side and then falls asleep or falls asleep and comes off several times during that time frame. Anyway, I put her down for a nap since she is sleeping and then 10 minutes later she is ready to nurse again. I am now attending the Le Lache meetings to help me out with some of these questions, but please tell me if this is normal. Will I ever have a life outside of nursing?? Also, we often have several people who want to visit all the time. I know that nursing is supposed to be "my job" right now, but how does one go about visiting and nursing because I am just not comfortable with pulling my stuff out in front of people. I dont want people to have to leave and I want to be able to visit, but when my baby is hungry she has to eat. There is no telling an infant, sorry dear but you will have to wait. Thanks for all the advice, and please, those who havent nursed but feel that you may have some input, I am willing to listen!

4 comments:

Reid said...

Hey girl! I think it is great you are trying to breastfeed like you are, and I also think it is fine if you stop (some tried to force me and I hated that). I tried w/ Gracie for 4 days with no luck (Much of the same you experience) and we felt like she wasn't getting enough to eat so I went to formula (I didn't get much support from the classes or nurses once we left the hospital). I think the classes will help if you have someone willing to help you. Just don't get stressed out about it-women usually feel pressured to BFeed, in my opinion. For us, it wasn't in the cards. Good luck either way! Miss you! Corbett misses you!

Vanessa said...

Hey girl! Try not to get stressed out with it. I think the more anxious and stressed you are, the lower you production is, at least it was that way for me. Try eating oatmeal - I hated it at first, but when I went back to work and had to pump, I had oatmeal every morning and I really think it helped. Also, try to pump between her feedings - it will also up your milk production. Hang in there - but know there is nothing wrong with having to supplement or switch to formula. It's more important that she is fed and growing! She's beautiful - I'm loving the pictures of her!

Unknown said...

I am a new mommy too - 1/20. I found a great website that makes me think my problems might be a latching issue. She doesn't take in as much "area" as she should, which in turn might be giving herself less milk. I have decided to go to the lactation place in town where you can weigh your baby, feed, then weigh again. This will help me find out how many oz she's getting in a feeding session. This is a Dr. who has videos that helped me visualize things I might be doing wrong.
http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html I find that I hate pumping!

Ashley said...

Quick answer: Madie was doing this and my LC labeled it as "Comfort Sucking". It's not that she's hungry, it's that it soothes her. The prescription: A pacifier. Which I hate doing but she's been doing amazing ever since.