Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Checklist Queen

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." - 2 Corinthians 4:18


Do you make checklists?  I know as a mom, I feel like I have more control with my long list of to-do's when I have a checklist.   And how glorious does it feel to cross something off to say that I have completed that task.  Oh joy, right? 

Well, what's even better is when I hear God speaking to me.  My morning devotion was so well written.  It said - Do not search for security in the world you inhabit.  You tend to make mental checklists of things you need to do in order to gain control in your life.  There is a better way to find security in this life. 


Do you know what that security is?  We should make time in our day every day, all day to praise God and pray to him what is going on in our lives and ask him for guidance.  Instead of *needing* a check-list and fixating on that, I need to be focused on Him and asking Him to help me with my life. 

There seems to be so much pressure these days to be the perfect mom.  What is the perfect mom though?  The one that buys their child every toy that they fuss about in the store?  The one that feeds their child only healthy food, refraining from all processed food?  The one that looks completely like she has got it together? 



I know that I am not a perfect mom.  I know that no matter how many checklists I make, it does not make me a better person.  I try my best to stay organized, keep a clean house, be a good wife and take good care of my children.  I try to do my best at my job and to keep in contact with my friends.  I know that my children are fed, they are clean, they have clothes and a safe place to keep them warm and comforted.  I know that they can come home to open arms everyday and even if I am stressed out or feeling rough, the simple little hug or kiss from either sweet little girl makes all those problems crumble. My house is not always clean.  Things are not always together.  Everything is not always organized, but I love my babies and I am pretty sure that they know that.

I am thankful that I can write down all of my daily to-do's, but even more thankful that when I cannot check them off my list, I know that my God has big plans for me and will help me stay focused and will always be the one in control of my life. I know that there is nothing that I need that God cannot provide for me.  If that makes me imperfect, then I kind of like it. 

 You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.  - Isaiah 26:3

No comments: