Thursday, March 12, 2009

Tummy Time

I know the importance of tummy time because I work as an Early Intervention Specialist with children with developmental delays. This is something that I often talk with my families about because our bodies work from head to toe, literally. First a child gains strength in her head and neck, gaining neck control. Then, a child learns to be able to push up on arms and hands. After that, the tummy or core area becomes stronger for things such as sitting up or pulling up later on for crawling. Then the knees and legs become stronger allowing the child to crawl and finally the feet so that the baby/ child can walk! With all that being said, Miss Emma Kate and I have been working hard on tummy time. She is not a big fan if she is on the floor, but I have noticed that when I carry her tummy down, head up close to mine, in hopes of allowing her to build some strength (and boy is she strong!) she almost tries jumping out of my arms. It is scary, but makes me proud. She has been lifting her head since day 1 and I am not quite sure why. Maybe not drinking caffeine for 11 whole months did help after all. I have officially had caffeine since having Emma Kate, but just this week!!!! Here are some pictures of her in action during tummy time.

I realize that she cant see herself in that mirror where it is sitting, but I continuously moved it around to get her attention :)

4 comments:

Amanda Ledford said...

Yeah, not sure that she is a fan of that! She looks so tiny!!!!

Ashley said...

Madie has been a head lifter since Day 1 too. She loves tummy time for the first maybe, 5 minutes...but then it's all downhill. haha.

Emma is too adorable.

Vanessa said...

Lily hated tummy time too! I would lay on my back and then lay her on her tummy on me - she loved it and it worked wonders for us until she would tolerate tummy time on the floor.
Emma is too cute - I love her polka dots!

L said...

Look at her!! She is so cute & yay for tummy time:)