Monday, January 26, 2009

Breast Feeding

Well, I am determined to make breast feeding work out. People dont warn you how difficult it can be, but I will be the one to tell everyone, it is NOT easy. First of all, Emma Kate is very good at latching on. She does such a wonderful job. The problem is, once she gets latched on and really gets started, she falls asleep. I have tried everything. I undress her down to her diaper. I rub her body. I tickle her. I blow on her face. All of these suggestions came from the lactation consultant, aka boob nazi, while I was in the hospital. I just cant stand to watch my little girl starve. She seriously makes this pitiful face and I just get all teary eyed myself. I have started pumping, but am only getting a half ounce of milk when I do this. I use the pumped milk in the beginning when she is really hungry to "satisfy" her for a few minutes enough to get her to latch on without throwing a fit because she is starving. Anyway, I am trying really hard to make this work so the ladies out there reading this that breastfed, please give me some advice. For all others of you, please give me some encouragement!

Our sweet baby! Since she lost her umbilical stump at one week old, I thought I would post a pic with it still there...those things are weirdo, arent they?

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Nursing is so difficult - but so worth it! I cried for 2 weeks straight begging Lily to eat so she would eat and get rid of her jaundice. Stick with it - eventually she's going to decide she likes to eat and then you'll be begging her to stop :) You're going to be great!

LuLu said...

My sister would cry and cry because her nipples hurt so bad, and her first baby had a lot of trouble latching on. You are not alone in the difficulties of breastfeeding and I'm so proud of you for toughing it out!!
You can do it!