Sunday, September 7, 2014

Orbital Fracture

So two weeks ago, we got up and got ready for church.  The girls and I had gone back-to-school shopping the night before and they found these cute little pocket books.  Emelia kept wearing hers in the store, so I had to oblige.  I put the girls in their pretty little dresses and we headed out the door for church.  Every other Sunday, I teach the 3-4 year old class, so this was one of those teaching days.

As we walked into church, we were rather early.  While I was setting up my classroom, the girls began to get a little bored, but some friends of theirs came in and everyone began to play a bit.  I had to tell Emelia several times to "use your walking feet" because she kept wanting to run in the class.  Once I had taught during the first service.  I gave the girls kisses and headed over to the service.  Within 15 minutes of service, one of the volunteers came to get me.  I knew right at that moment that something was wrong.  They didn't post her number on the screen.  They didn't have me just wait until the end of the service -- she came and got me out of the service.























When I first walked into the classroom, Emelia was crying, but not hysterically.  She wanted her mama.  She had been running in the class and either tripped over her on feet or just plain fell flat on her face.  The teacher stated that the sound that it made when she fell was not very good and she knew something would be wrong.  She ran over to Emelia and she got up and said, "I need to go potty."  She had an accident.  I'm sure it happened once she fell because we just don't really have potty accidents anymore.  I scooped her out of the teacher's arms and noticed that she had a nice goose egg on her forehead. 

Within about 2 minutes of me being in the classroom, her eye began to close and started to swell a bit.  Shortly after that, Emelia began to dry heave.

I went out to my car and contacted the pediatricians office and they told me to go ahead and go to the pediatric emergency room.  That is exactly what I did.  My mom drove us.  Emelia kept trying to fall asleep and would get very angry with me for keeping her awake. She started to vomit and then would vomit again.  I was so worried and so scared.  This was my baby and she was looking more pitiful by the minute.Once we got to the ER, they called us back pretty quickly.  Thank heavens.  They were very nice with her and kept her comfortable.  The pediatrician saw her and wanted a CT scan to be done which I am thankful for because with her hitting her face/eye/head like that, I was so afraid that there was internal bleeding.  Her nose had also been running in the classroom and there was a small amount of blood in the mucous.  As she went in for the CT scan, my husband had to lay on top of her and try his best to hold her hands down.  That was hard for me to watch.  She was just so helpless and couldn't understand why we were doing this to her.  When we got back into the room, she began to vomit again.  They gave her Tylenol and Zofran and had to do so by suppository so that she could keep it down. 








Once the results came in, it was determined by three different neurosurgeons that she had an orbital fracture and another small fracture on the other side of her head.  She was kept in the pediatric intensive care unit to monitor her vitals and to make sure that there was no internal bleeding.  A physical therapist came in to examine how she walked the next morning.  She indicated that she would most likely get tired more often.





























We were released and once we got home, Emelia would walk into walls and miss the couch when trying to sit down.  I felt so bad for her and there was not a whole lot I could do to comfort her and help her except just hold her.  That is exactly what I did...every time she would ask me to hold her, I would and I just prayed to God and thanked him that he didn't take her from us and that she wasn't in a worse condition.  She looked pretty bad, but she is beginning to heal.  I am not sure what we will do long-term and I still notice that she gets tired easily and closes her eye in the sun, in bright lights or when looking up.  That concerns me and I just want to monitor her the best that we can.  Hopefully she will still continue to heal on her own and knowing that my church is continuing to pray for our sweet girl has this mama heart in a much better place.  I think we have had all the excitement we can handle for a while...